The 6 Key Points About Hospice Care You Need to Know
When a family member enters into hospice care, it’s, understandably, a challenging and emotionally charged time for the individual’s loved ones, and raises a variety of questions. What exactly does hospice care entail? Who provides this type of care for your loved one? Should the person be in the hospital, or can hospice care be provided at home? Following are some essential facts about hospice care from the providers of hospice care Pleasanton, CA families trust the most at Hired Hands Homecare.
- Hospice care is about helping individuals experience the highest quality of life possible each day, with comfort and support provided to both the person receiving hospice care and his or her family members.
- The hospice team is comprised of nurses, social workers, chaplains, home health care aides, and bereavement counselors. The individual who is receiving hospice care will have visits as needed from the appropriate members of the team, who are available 24 hours per day, 7 days per week for care and support.
- Agreeing to receive hospice care does not mean that dying is near, or that it is time to give up hope. The earlier someone begins to receive hospice care, the more chance there is to address concerns and improve quality of life. Some people’s health may actually improve, and they are then discharged from hospice care.
- Studies show that most people in the U.S. do not want to die in a hospital; hospice care provides palliative care, to manage pain and other issues, while allowing most people to remain at home if they desire.
- Hospice cost is covered by Medicare and most private insurance companies, providing the individual meets the required criteria.
- Hospice care is not a location. It can typically be provided in the familiarity and comfort of home, but is also available wherever the person resides, such as a nursing home, assisted living facility, or residential care facility.
Along with hospice care, many times family members can benefit from help with running errands, preparing meals, and supervision of their loved one while they take care of other needs.
At Hired Hands Homecare, the top providers of hospice care in Pleasanton, CA and the surrounding area, we understand the ins and outs of hospice care, and that requiring hospice care is difficult for the whole family. We are here to help with the support you need. Contact us today to discover more about our in-home hospice care services.