A Key Component of Exercises for Seniors: Laughter!
Have you ever found yourself in the awkward situation where you’re about to bubble over with uncontrollable laughter, usually at the most inappropriate moment – standing in a crowded elevator, sitting in a quiet waiting room, or in the middle of a religious service? While there are, naturally, times when we should suppress the silliness, author Jane Heller explains that, “Humor can keep us balanced, even in the grimmest of times. It reminds us that despite illness and disability, there are moments of real joy in life and we need to embrace them.”
The health benefits of laughter are simply incredible, including:
- Releasing endorphins
- Strengthening brain connectivity
- Providing a social boost
- Relieving pain
- Enhancing the immune system
- Improving mood
- And many more
When putting together a plan of exercises for seniors, be sure to make it fun, and don’t be afraid to laugh at yourselves! Laughter and exercise go hand in hand, helping to work even more muscle groups, strengthening the lungs, and bringing a little light and levity to a senior exercise routine.
Here are just a few additional ways to incorporate joy and laughter into each and every day:
- Whenever you see something that makes you chuckle, print it out and place it strategically in your home or office, such as a favorite comic strip, meme, funny photo, etc.
- Investigate a laughter yoga class – yes, there truly is such a thing!
- Modify the books you read and the TV shows and movies you watch to incorporate more lightheartedness.
- Change your internal dialogue from reprimands when mistakes are made, to the relief in realizing we’re all human – and find a reason to smile.
Hired Hands Homecare’s skilled caregivers help bring joy and laughter to older adults, as well as respite to their families, each and every day. Let us help brighten up your world! Contact the experts in elderly care in Santa Rosa and the surrounding areas at (866) 940-4343 to learn more about the benefits of laughter and how our expert caregivers and can assist you.