Providing Elderly Care in Napa | Caring for a Parent With Parkinson’s
A large number of older adults with Parkinson’s disease receive the largest part of their care at home from loved ones, specifically during the earlier levels of the disease. As the leader in elderly care in Napa and the surrounding area, we at Hired Hands Homecare are aware of the unique concerns experienced by family members who are care providers for a parent with Parkinson’s, and want you to know you’re not alone! We are always available to offer recommendations and to partner with you in making sure your loved one is receiving the highest quality care at all times.
To begin with, it’s very helpful to keep these Parkinson’s-specific tips in mind:
- Nutrition: A healthy diet helps lessen cell loss in an individual with Parkinson’s. Getting plenty of antioxidants, like those found in green tea, blueberries, broccoli, spinach, beans, and certain types of nuts, can help fight against oxidative stress.
- Chewing and Swallowing: Those with Parkinson’s frequently have some level of difficulty with chewing and swallowing. Every person providing care for a loved one with Parkinson’s must learn the Heimlich maneuver to be prepared in case the person begins to choke.
- Fall Prevention: Those with Parkinson’s sometimes have problems with walking and balance, so it’s essential to assess the home surroundings and make modifications to decrease the risk of falls. Installing items like customized toilet seats and grab bars where appropriate, and eliminating obstacles in and around the home, is a very good place to begin.
- Depression/Anxiety: Lowering the risk for depression and anxiety is a key component in the battle against Parkinson’s. Closely monitor your loved one for symptoms of depression, and if noted, be sure he or she sees the doctor for an evaluation as soon as possible.
- Medications: Parkinson’s treatment options can have a wide range of side effects, and can impact the individual in a multitude of different ways. Certain kinds of medication can cause hallucinations or nightmares, for instance. Be sure your loved one’s physician advises you about any potential side effects of medications so you can be prepared.
We invite you to explore Hired Hands Homecare’s wide array of home care services to learn how our elderly care can lead to a better quality of life for both you and your loved one. By working with our professional team to help with some of the more routine aspects of caregiving, family members have the opportunity to spend more quality time together. Call us in Napa at 707-265-6400 or call 866-940-4343 to learn more. View our full service area here.