Hired Hands Homecare’s Gift to You: Our FREE Checklist of Questions to Ask Home Care Agencies
At Hired Hands Homecare, we understand that beginning the process of seeking home care in California for your senior loved one can be a daunting process. We’ve compiled the following list of questions to ask as you talk with potential home care agency candidates, to help make the task a little easier and enable you to make a well-informed decision:
- Service listing. Do they offer services specific to your loved one’s listed, required needs? Is someone available to provide information on all services, eligibility requirements and funding sources? Is that information available online or can they send it to you?
- Training and supervision. What formal training programs and certifications does the agency require of its direct care providers? What level of professional supervises the care? How often and how do the supervisors oversee the caregivers on location to ensure proper care is being provided?
- Documentation and coordination. Are visits and treatments documented? Do family members have easy access? Does the agency coordinate with the patient’s physician to provide a coordinated care plan?
Direct Care Providers
- Length of visits. How often does the care provider visit, and how long does she stay during each visit? Does the agency provide care on weekends and evenings? Does the visit allow for time to talk and get to know the patient?
- Rotation of care. Is care provided consistently by the same caregiver, or is care rotated among different people? If rotated, how often? Does the family receive advance notice when a change is being made?
- Accessibility. Do the agency office staff and the direct care provider stay in regular contact? Do they keep you informed of any changes in the patient’s health or plan of care?
- Funding and billing. Do they accept long-term care insurance? Do they supply written statements detailing costs? How often is the care invoiced, if there is payment due?
- Special fees. Are there fees for special or extended services? Who is responsible for them? Are payment plans available for any out-of-pocket services? Is there someone at the agency who can assist in exploring all options to pay for care?
We sincerely hope that as you’re exploring home care options, you’ll consider partnering with Hired Hands Homecare. With over 30 years of experience in providing California senior care, and recommended by area physicians to their patients in need of care, we invite you to review what some of our clients and their families have to say and then give us a call at 866-940-4343 to arrange for a free in-home care consultation and home safety evaluation!