Hired Hands Homecare’s Tips for Keeping Seniors from the Dangers of Isolation
Everyone needs a little time to get away from it all, to be alone with our thoughts or to settle in with a good book. But when that alone time is excessive, we become at risk for social isolation – an all too common occurrence as we age. And its effects are more detrimental than you may realize, with the potential to impact both physical and mental health in a variety of ways.
Studies have shown that socializing:
- Reduces risk of disability
- Reduces depression and pain
- Protects the brain from mental decline
- Increases the quality and length of life
In-home caregivers, such as those at Hired Hands Homecare, can help the older adults in your life stay social and protect their health by:
- Encouraging attendance and serving as a personal escort to social outings such as club meetings, community events such as fairs, holiday celebrations and parades, plays, concerts, and sporting events, religious services and church activities
- Playing interactive games with them such as board games, cards and Nintendo Wii
- Planning and scheduling visits with friends and neighbors
- Providing transportation to an adult day facility or a low impact exercise class
- Providing companionship during family celebrations or vacations for maximum comfort and safety
Help your senior loved ones enhance their social engagement and improve their health by enlisting the caring services of Hired Hands Homecare. Whether your needs are long-term and ongoing, or you just need a little extra assistance, your loved one will be carefully matched with a compassionate, fully trained and experienced caregiver. Learn more about our in-home care services in Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Tri Valley and Solano by contacting Hired Hands Homecare at 866-940-4343.