Living with Multiple Sclerosis? Here’s How to Enhance Comfort at Home.
Jane Austen once said, “There is nothing like staying at home for real comfort.” And for someone with a chronic illness, such as multiple sclerosis, comfort is crucial, as is safety. If your loved one has been diagnosed with MS, the initial step in caregiving should be to make the appropriate adaptations so the home is a safe, comfortable sanctuary, and not a dangerous place.
Multiple sclerosis can cause getting around to be difficult, and because daily tasks — including recreational activities — can cause fatigue more quickly in those with MS, creating particular changes to the home environment can help conserve energy and enhance independence.
Some examples include:
- Replace thick carpet with smooth, nonslip flooring for easier mobility
- Place grab bars in the bathroom
- Reposition furniture to widen pathways throughout the home
- Include items in the tub or shower such as a handheld showerhead, a slip resistant bath mat and a tub seat
- Consider a bed rail to assist with changing sleep positions
- Exchange knobs throughout the home with handles, which are easier to manage
Hired Hands Homecare can provide home alteration suggestions and help in scheduling customizations to make sure your senior loved one’s residence is a more convenient place for independence. We can also help in a variety of ways with tasks at home to make life safer and more fulfilling for older adults.
To learn more about our in-home care services in the California areas of Marin, Sonoma, Napa counties and the Tri-Valley, contact us at (866) 940-4343. Our in-home care from expert caregivers can help seniors with chronic conditions such as multiple sclerosis remain in the comfort of their home, with the care needed to improve quality of life.