Provide Better Care for Someone with Lou Gehrig’s Disease with These Tips
As a degenerating neurological disease, ALS (also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease) can lead to a variety of physical concerns that can lead to clinical depression. For family caregivers providing in-home care for ALS patients, it can be easy to become overwhelmed and to feel uncertain about how to best help the individual live life to the fullest and stay optimistic.
When it comes to providing in-home care for someone with ALS, it is essential for caregivers to understand the struggles that the disease produces so they can provide the very best care.
Hired Hands Homecare, the Marin, CA home care experts, has put together the following techniques to help caregivers provide the best care for individuals with ALS:
- Individuals with muscle diseases like ALS are proficient thinkers even if they are not able to communicate clearly. Examine choices openly and make mutual decisions pertaining to the person’s care.
- Inquire if the person wants help before helping. Try not to take control of tasks that still can be performed if the person is given adaptive devices and time.
- Patience is essential. Although it may often seem quicker and easier for you to do certain tasks, be patient and allow the person to take care of the tasks that he or she can.
- Provide a computer and internet access. Computers and other assistive systems provide entertainment and social interaction and make it possible for the individual with a muscle disease like Lou Gehrig’s disease to assist with tasks like paying bills, tracking down information, hiring services, and grocery shopping.
- Use assistive devices. The use of assistive products like wheelchairs is a move toward self-reliance, not away from it. Assistive tools are available for various daily tasks such as eating, opening jars and doors, buttoning or zipping up clothing, writing and taking a shower.
For individuals with Lou Gehrig’s disease, self-reliance and exceptional care are vital. The in Marin, CA home care experts at Hired Hands Homecare are fully trained and experienced to help provide the care and assistance needed to ensure people with ALS live their best lives, and their loved ones receive the respite they need. If you would like to learn more about our expert ALS care, throughout several counties in California, contact us any time.