Seniors and Technology: The Perfect Match for These 5 Common Concerns
Whether you are looking to tune a guitar, study a new language, or just add cats’ ears to a selfie, there is an app for that! And when it comes to seniors and technology, specifically when older adults choose to age in place at home, high-tech tools are often an extremely important component in increasing safety, comfort, and overall quality of life.
Take Amazon’s Alexa, as an example. Whereas its current benefits for seniors are numerous, such as the ability to track sugar levels, make doctor appointments, and research information related to a specific health issue, it’s actually poised to dig even further into the medical care arena – possibly even detecting heart attacks and helping doctors obtain precise diagnoses.
Here are a few additional technology solutions you should consider for a cherished older adult:
- Home Security: A motion-detecting security system offers peace of mind related to crime prevention, but frequently can do so much more, such as warning when detecting smoke, broken glass, or temperatures in the house which are typically too high or low, just to name a few. They’re also helpful for people diagnosed with dementia who may be prone to wandering, to alert to a senior’s activities close to the house.
- Telehealth: Save a trip to the doctor’s office with the use of one of many different apps that permit remote consultations from board-certified physicians, psychologists, and psychiatrists, many of whom are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Fall Prevention: Among the leading contributors to senior falls is inadequate lighting. Smart lights use motion detection to boost lighting in areas of particular concern, including between the bedroom and bathroom, or on outside walkways, when triggered by a person’s movement.
- Fraud Protection: Senior con artists are relentless and regularly changing their strategies. Older adults can enhance security through apps that keep an eye on financial activity and neighborhood crime activity, reduce robocalls, catch any usage of a person’s Social Security number, and much more.
- Health Care: Multiple health care needs are able to be met from the comfort of home, such as video chats with physicians to avoid a visit to the office, medication ordering, and medication management to ensure meds are taken at the correct times as well as in the right doses.
Contact Hired Hands Homecare, the experts in home care in Sonoma, CA and the surrounding area, for even more ideas on maximizing life at home for seniors – whether via technology coupled with our knowledgeable in-home care assistance, professional care management, post-hospitalization care or more! We’re always here to help set up and explain technological options, and to provide the tried-and-true, hands-on assistance in the home that empowers senior loved ones to live their very best lives. Call us any time at (866) 940-4343 for an in-home consultation and let us know exactly how we can help you!