Tips for Smooth Discharge Planning from Hospital to Home
What a relief it is when the medical personnel informs you that your elderly loved one is ready to be discharged from the hospital after surgery. But as they hand you that stack of discharge papers and directions, a certain amount of anxiety may start to creep in. Will your family member be able to care for herself at home?
The Napa senior living team at Hired Hands Homecare wants to help you arrange for smooth discharge planning from hospital to home by outlining the questions you’ll need to get answered prior to surgery:
- Who will pick up prescriptions? Do I need to depend on a family member for this job? Will he/she be readily available when a refill is needed?
- Who will answer questions about the prescriptions? Should I contact the doctor, the pharmacist, or does the hospital have someone else for me to contact with questions about care?
- What phone numbers do I need to have on hand?
- What kind of medical equipment might be required (such as a walker, crutches or telehealth devices), and who will provide them?
- What types of tasks might be difficult to perform when coming home given the nature of the surgery? (Ex. bathing, dressing, climbing stairs, picking up prescription drugs, cooking, shopping, driving, etc.)
- What activities are not recommended following surgery?
- What symptoms should I keep an eye out for that might suggest a problem during recovery?
- Will the prescription drugs cause drowsiness or confusion?
Educating yourself and your senior loved one with the information needed for smooth discharge planning from hospital to home can pave the way for an easier and more comfortable transition following a surgical procedure, but the best way to prevent post-hospitalization problems is by engaging the services of a professional home care agency like Hired Hands Homecare. Our Napa senior living experts can help your senior loved one get settled back in comfortably after surgery, pick up prescriptions, and make sure he or she stays safe and well. Contact us any time at (866) 940-4343 to learn more.