Should I Stay or Should I Go? Determining if Home Care Is an Option.
We face a number of critical crossroads in life, in which our decisions will have a long-reaching impact. Our career. Whether (and whom) to marry. Whether to have children. And once we’ve reached senior status, another major decision looms: should we consider a move to an assisted living facility or nursing home to ensure we have the care needed throughout the aging process, or is home care in California an option?
As with any crucial decision, it’s important to carefully consider the pros and cons of each choice. Hired Hands Homecare wants to help seniors and their families more clearly understand both options, in order to make the decision with which they’ll be most comfortable.
If you’re in the beginning stages of considering a move for your senior loved one, these questions are important to consider:
- Is cost a factor? The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services has broken down average costs for various senior living arrangements:
- For a semi-private nursing home room: $205/day ($6,235/month)
- For a private nursing home room: $229/day ($6,965/month)
- For an assisted living facility: $3,293/month
- Remaining at home with an aide: $19 – $21/hour
- Is safety a concern? Seniors with chronic health conditions, difficulty with handling of activities of daily living (personal care, meal preparation, medication management, etc.) or who struggle with cognitive abilities (such as with Alzheimer’s disease or dementia) will need a higher level of assistance.
- Could socialization be enhanced? Lonely, isolated seniors are at a heightened risk for serious conditions, like depression.
- Are there transportation limitations? When it’s no longer safe for an older person to drive, alternate transportation options need to be explored.
- Is home maintenance unmanageable? Keeping up with yard work, home repairs, and even regular housework can become difficult for seniors as they age.
If these questions raise concerns, it may be time to consider a move to an alternate senior living arrangement. However, we’d love to talk with you before making your final decision. In many cases, all of these issues can be resolved through professional in-home care – allowing seniors to remain safe in their existing homes, where they’re most comfortable.
We provide a free in-home assessment to determine each senior’s individual needs, and work together with families to create a customized plan of care to make sure those needs are met.
Before making a decision that may be unalterable – such as selling the family home and moving into a nursing home – contact Hired Hands Homecare at 866-940-4343 and let us share with you some ideas that can make aging in place at home a possibility for you or your senior loved one.