Did You Know About These Veterans’ Options for Paying for Care at Home?
Many times, families make the assumption that as long as their loved one is covered by Medicare, paying for care at home isn’t something they need to consider. Unfortunately, however, this is a common misconception. As we noted in a previous blog post, most people use private funds in paying for care at home. There are a couple of alternatives to consider though for veterans and their spouses. The top home care company Santa Rosa, CA, Hired Hands Homecare, outlines the details to help those who have served in the military to access all of the resources available to them in paying for care at home.
First to consider is the Veterans’ Aid and Attendance program, which helps wartime veterans and/or their spouses with paying for care at home, as long as they meet the particular qualifications required to receive these benefits. The individual applying must:
- Have received an honorable or general discharge
- Have doctor’s orders stating he or she needs the aid and assistance of others daily
- Meet specific financial requirements
- Have served 1 day during an active war and had no less than 90 days of service
- Be the surviving spouse of a veteran to obtain spousal benefits
Some veterans may also apply for housebound to pay for their care services. Housebound is a benefit that is paid over and above a monthly pension. Veterans who qualify for Housebound benefits:
- Have a single permanent disability that has been evaluated as 100 percent disabling AND, due to such disability, the veteran is permanently and substantially confined to his or her home, OR,
- He or she has a single permanent disability evaluated as 100 percent disabling AND, another disability, or disabilities, evaluated as 60 percent or more disabling.
Regulations state that veterans cannot receive both Aid and Attendance and Housebound benefits concurrently, and they must be receiving a monthly pension in order to quality for either one of these additional benefits.
If you’re wondering if your senior loved one may qualify for Veterans’ Aid and Attendance or Housebound benefits, the top rated home care company Santa Rosa, CA, Hired Hands Homecare, is always available to work with you to explore all your options for funding the in-home senior care you need. You can reach us at (866) 940-4343 or contact us online to learn more about the help available to veterans for paying for care at home.