Hired Hands Homecare’s Top Holiday Outing Tips with Elderly Loved Ones
The holidays are full of festivities, parties, gatherings, and celebrations. But, for an elderly loved one, holiday outings require a little advance planning. Follow these pointers from Hired Hands Homecare in an effort to enjoy fun and relaxed outings with loved ones of all ages this season.
Before leaving the home, consider:
- The amount of walking involved, and if there is parking nearby
- Whether the destination is flat or has hills or stairs to climb
- If there is wheelchair access (if appropriate)
- Whether there is cover and shade
- Whether there are toilet facilities
- Whether there are chairs or benches available in case the senior needs a rest
Be certain to be prepared for a wide range of possibilities:
- Have all the medicines needed and take an extra supply, just in case the outing lasts longer or takes an unexpected turn
- Have appropriate clothing as well as sun and rain protection
- Bring along a snack and drink, in the event of a delay
Need some holiday outing suggestions older adults will relish? Take a look at the following:
- Take a leisurely family drive to check out the local city holiday lights
- If it is possible and received warmly, invite the senior to your home to decorate and then enjoy a holiday treat together afterwards.
- Help your elderly loved one attend a holiday celebration especially for seniors at a neighborhood senior center
- Attend local and community plays; besides the local theater, symphony or ballet, you will find affordable performances and shows presented at local schools
Whatever activities you participate in this holiday season, take things slow and create a relaxed environment to make sure your loved one is comfortable and happy. Hired Hands Homecare, serving Marin, Sonoma, and Napa counties and the Tri-Valley, can help your family by enhancing your loved one’s independence while providing excellent elderly care during the holidays and throughout the rest of the year! Contact us to learn more.
Leave a Reply