Learn to Recognize the Initial Symptoms of Parkinson’s
Parkinson’s disease affects one out of 100 people above the age of 60, plus the U.S. sees around 60,000 new cases every year, reports the Michael J. Fox Foundation. Because April is Parkinson’s Awareness Month, the home care experts at Hired Hands Homecare want to help raise understanding of the initial symptoms of Parkinson’s, as finding help early is crucial.
A proper diagnosis for Parkinson’s disease requires a battery of tests to rule out other conditions that often mimic Parkinson’s symptoms. However, early diagnosis and treatment might help patients boost their overall condition and experience a greater total wellbeing over time.
Here are warning signs and initial symptoms of Parkinson’s disease:
- Moderate tremors – usually the symptom causing visitors to seek medical assistance.
- Difficulty getting out of a chair.
- Speaking too quietly.
- Handwriting is slow and appears cramped or small.
- Losing track of a word or thought.
- Feeling tired, moody or depressed for no apparent reason.
People who see the senior every day, such as friends, household members, or caregivers, could be the first to notice small changes that may indicate Parkinson’s, including:
- The person’s face lacks expression and animation (known as “masked face”).
- The senior will not move an arm or leg normally.
- The senior appears stiff, unsteady or abnormally slow.
No single one of these signs implies that a senior has Parkinson’s. However, if she or he has more than one symptom, make an appointment to talk to his/her physician. In the event that you or a loved one has been diagnosed with Parkinson’s, we can help. The Napa senior living experts at Hired Hands Homecare can offer assistance with meal planning and preparation, personal supervision and home safety services, assistance with physician approved exercise, transportation to and from appointments, respite care services for family members and a lot more. Call us today in Napa at 707-265-6400 or call 866-940-4343 to learn more. View our full California service area here.
Leave a Reply