MS Care Should Be Whole-Person Care. Here’s How Hired Hands Homecare Can Help.
For many individuals, living with multiple sclerosis is more comfortable with some degree of assistance for daily activities of living. Several hours a day of practical, hands-on assistance from a professional caregiver who has been trained in MS care can allow the person with MS to reserve energy and reduce feelings of fatigue. At Hired Hands Homecare in California, we believe that nourishing a person’s mind, body and spirit is crucial to help those with MS remain motivated and enabled. Here are just a few ways we can help.
MIND – Professional caregivers can help those with MS understand their symptoms and how to best adjust their lifestyle to improve quality of life. For example, they can help set up a daily routine, stressing the need to limit activities and take regular periods of rest to avoid fatigue and symptom exacerbations.
BODY – Physical limitations play a big part in MS care. A professional caregiver can assist with:
- Helping to maintain proper body alignment when positioning if the individual with multiple sclerosis is on bed rest
- Protecting skin against friction, pressure, and excessive heat, dryness, or moisture
- Encouraging exercise and movement each day, and helping with physical therapy activities
- Providing delicious, nutritious meals and help with eating as needed
SPIRIT – Keeping spirits uplifted helps tremendously in managing MS and other chronic conditions, and simply makes life more enjoyable. Professional caregivers not only help with physical needs, but are trained to help lift spirits as well, through:
- Providing comfort measures, like gentle massage and warm baths
- Fostering independence through being sensitive to discerning when to help as well as when to give back responsibility for tasks as symptoms come and go
- Offering emotional support
- Sharing recommendations on devices that are designed to make daily living more comfortable, such as special utensils, reaching devices, and sliding boards
With a variety of adjustments made along the way, those with MS can look forward to a productive and fulling life. Call Hired Hands Homecare at (866) 940-4343 to learn more about how our in-home caregivers can help those with MS feel enabled, motivated and more connected to others.