Protect Senior Skin with These Tips
You can blame it on the environment, changes in hormones, medications, and even the sun: our skin as we age is affected by a variety of factors, leading to thinning and an enhanced risk of bruising. As a result, it’s helpful to take proactive measures to protect senior skin from injury. Try the following tips:
- Rearrange furniture and get rid of any clutter to reduce the chance of bumps and bruises.
- Keep the skin moisturized, and always use sunscreen of at least 30 SPF or higher.
- Talk with the senior’s physician about the impact of any medications on the skin. In particular, the long-term use of steroids, blood thinners, fish oil and vitamin E can enhance the risk of bruises.
- Encourage the older adult to wear long pants and sleeves to provide an extra layer of protection over the skin.
If bruising does occur, these recommendations can help with healing:
- Place a cold compress gently on the bruise for approximately 20 minutes.
- Keep the bruised area elevated if possible.
- Make sure the senior’s diet incorporates plenty of vitamin C, a proven protectant against bruising.
- If the older person is a smoker, encourage them to quit.
If a bruise appears on the skin for an unknown reason, or if a bruise is large and painful, especially if a new medication has been started or if bleeding occurs in other areas, such as the nose or gums, contact the doctor immediately.
Contact Hired Hands Homecare, award-winning provider of elder care in Pleasanton and the surrounding areas, for more help in reducing the risk of bruising and other injuries to seniors with our highly skilled in-home care services. We can help protect senior skin in a variety of ways, such as:
- Preparing healthy, nutritious meals and ensuring seniors stay hydrated
- Assisting with skin care and other personal hygiene needs
- Providing transportation to medical appointments
- Assessing the home for fall risks and assisting with mobility to prevent falls
- And much more
Call us at (866) 940-4343 to request additional helpful resources and to arrange for a free in-home consultation to learn more about our in-home care services for seniors.
Leave a Reply