Caregivers Can Help CHF Patients Watch for These Signs of a Flare Up
CHF, or congestive heart failure, is a condition that results when the heart doesn’t pump blood as efficiently as it should. CHF can be caused by several conditions, including high blood pressure and coronary artery disease. People with CHF sometimes experience flare-ups, or sudden worsening of symptoms.
Professional Hired Hands Homecare caregivers, providing senior care in Napa, CA, can help their clients watch for signs of a flare-up and take steps to manage the condition. Contact us online or call us at (866) 940-4343 to learn about how we can help your family after a CHF diagnosis.
If you or a loved one has CHF, watch for these changes that could indicate a flare-up:
- Sudden weight gain. If you gain three or more pounds in the space of one or two days, it could mean that your body is retaining fluid. Excess fluid can worsen CHF. You should weigh yourself every day and keep a record of your daily weight. That way you’ll know if you have changes your doctor should know about.
- Swelling of feet, legs or abdomen. This is a result of fluid buildup in the body. The swelling can be painful or cause nausea or constipation. Call your doctor right away if you see that your legs, feet or abdomen are swollen.
- Coughing or shortness of breath. These are often a result of too much fluid in the lungs, which makes it hard to breathe freely. Things to look for include shortness of breath when doing easy tasks, such as getting dressed; shortness of breath while resting or lying down; or waking up during the night feeling like it’s hard to breathe. Let your doctor know at your next appointment if you’re having any of these symptoms. If they get worse or become severe, call your doctor right away.
- Rapid heartbeat. If your heart is racing or feels irregular, call your doctor. It could indicate a CHF flare-up.
- Tiredness. Some tiredness is normal with CHF, but if you suddenly become unusually fatigued and have any other warning signs, call your doctor.
If you have CHF and begin to feel faint, have chest pain that doesn’t go away with rest, feel dizzy or confused or can’t breathe, call 911 right away.
If you have CHF, a home care expert from Hired Hands Homecare can help you monitor your condition and assist with daily activities. Hired Hands Homecare provides senior care in Napa, CA and surrounding areas. Contact us online or call us at 866-940-4343 to learn more about our home care services.