The Benefits of a Daily Routine for Seniors
Life can be full of uncertainties. For seniors who are feeling less in control of particular areas of life, such as losing cognitive or physical functioning, concentrating on what can be controlled is empowering. An excellent way to help is by establishing a daily routine for seniors, personalized to a senior’s particular interests and needs.
Keep in mind that the older adult’s routine is certainly not meant to be a rigid regimen to be adhered to, but simply the basis for predictability and structure. With the older adult’s input and direction, settle on a preferred framework for every day. A sample daily routine may look like this:
- Wake up at 7:30 a.m.
- Handle personal hygiene needs and get dressed
- Enjoy breakfast on the porch while listening to the news
- Engage in light exercise and stretching
- Work on a puzzle or art project
- Pack a picnic lunch to take to the local park
- Run a few errands
- Take a brief nap or spend some quiet time reading
- Make dinner together and tidy up afterwards
- Have a bath
- Watch a favorite show
- Go to bed at 10:30 p.m.
How Can a Daily Routine for Seniors Help?
- Routines lower anxiety and stress. Routines are calming and comforting, eliminating the need to wonder and worry about what is going to occur next, who will be there to help, and how to make sure that everything will be taken care of.
- Routines improve sleep. Studies have shown that sticking with a regular routine aids in sleep quality in addition to the ability to fall asleep and remain asleep.
- Routines allow for high quality time with family and friends. Seniors and those who care for them can establish routines that incorporate satisfying time together. Include favorite pastimes, weekly dinner dates at a favorite restaurant, even an end-of-the-day hug.
Our caregiving team is skilled at creating individualized care plans and schedules to make every day the very best it can be for seniors and the ones who love them through a complete range of in-home support services, including:
- Morning wake-up assistance, including personal hygiene and cooking a nourishing breakfast
- Friendly companionship throughout the day and evening – whenever needed
- Light housekeeping and laundry
- Shopping and other errands
- Medication reminders
- Transportation and accompaniment to outings, visits with friends and family, medical appointments, etc.
- And many others, in accordance with each person’s specific needs
Call us any time at (866) 940-4343 for more information and to request a complimentary in-home consultation.