The Power of Play for Seniors: Why Recess Isn’t Just for Kids
Do you remember that feeling as a young child when the school bell rang, indicating the conclusion of science and the start of the best part of the day: recess? There was an immense feeling of freedom bounding out onto the playground, leaving behind the pressure of school work for a quick period of unstructured play. Regrettably, for the majority of adults, this is just a happy but distant memory. Play for seniors isn’t usually something that’s considered by many adults. Nevertheless, is it possible, and even worthwhile, to recapture the enjoyment of playing?
Experts like Dr. Stuart Brown, founder of the National Institute for Play, respond with a resounding YES. As he explains, “Play is something done for its own sake. It’s voluntary, it’s pleasurable, it offers a sense of engagement, it takes you out of time. And the act itself is more important than the outcome.”
The key advantages of play for seniors include:
- To be connected: Particularly in our smartphone-driven world today, making time to build relationships with others in person is paramount to our social health – whether through sports, card groups, weekly board game competitions, or any other shared pastimes and interests.
- To sharpen the mind: Although the jury is still out on the effectiveness of memory games in decreasing the chance of developing Alzheimer’s disease, there is certainly benefit to be gained in improving reasoning and problem-solving abilities.
- To improve relationships: The everyday tension inherent in most of our relationships is eased whenever a sense of playfulness is included, making it possible for more powerful bonds as well as the ability to better conquer challenges if they arise.
Squeezing time out from a busy schedule to just play can seem impossible. However, with some help from Hired Hands Homecare, a more enjoyable lifestyle can very quickly become a reality. We’re readily available for as much or as little assistance as necessary, offering a wide array of services for seniors, such as:
- Planning and preparing meals
- Grocery shopping, picking up medications, and any other errands
- Light housework and laundry
- Personal care assistance such as aiding with bathing and dressing
- Transportation and accompaniment to doctor appointments and fun outings
- Companionship to take part in discussions, reminiscing, exercising, games, and pleasurable pastimes
- And much more
Acquire a healthy life balance by allowing us to help, while you have some fun. Give us a call at (866) 940-4343 or reach out online for more information about our home care in Walnut Creek and the nearby areas. We promise to treat your loved one with the same dignity we would extend to our own family members.
Leave a Reply