What to Do When You Notice Warning Signs of Aging Care Needs
The initial signs might be so subtle that many people wouldn’t even recognize that anything is amiss. Mom is outgoing, pleasant, and conversational while visiting loved ones and while running errands. But those closest to her have begun to detect concerns: being forgetful about the soup cooking on the stove, leading to a scorched pan. Putting her keys into the cookie jar. Failing to pay bills. What should you do when you begin to notice these kinds of warning signs of aging care needs?
As an adult child of a loved one in the early stages of compromised safety or the ability to make competent choices, it is normally incredibly difficult to transition to a higher degree of involvement and assistance – nonetheless it’s also vitally important to take the appropriate steps sooner rather than later.
When it comes to broaching any confrontational topic of conversation, talking with your parent about the issues you are observing may be met with opposition and defensiveness in the beginning. However, it is worthwhile to outline the particular reasons for your concern, and the negative consequences if these behaviors continue on or worsen.
Hired Hands Homecare’s aging care specialists suggest this strategy:
- Be sure that a durable power of attorney has been assigned.
- Affirm with your brothers and sisters that the issue needs to be dealt with, and discuss together what options are obtainable for the senior’s care as needs continue to advance.
- Continue being loving but steady in your plan. Explain the choices you have considered. If she balks at the thought of moving to an assisted living facility, which many older adults do, suggest an in-home caregiver as an alternative, allowing her to stay independent and safe in the comfort of home.
- Be aware that it will probably take a number of conversations before the senior accepts the necessity for help and support – which is why it is important to start the process as soon as possible.
At Hired Hands Homecare, the leading provider of Tri Valley home care and care throughout the surrounding areas, we’re experienced in helping seniors feel at ease and positive about how our services can help increase safety and overall quality of life and wellbeing. As soon as your family decides the time is right for assistance, we can help with highly customized care that can meet an array of needs, including:
- Meal planning and preparation
- Housework and laundry
- Running errands
- Highly specialized care for dementia
- And much more
Whether the need is for several hours each week to boost safety and socialization, full-time care, or anything in between, partnering with Hired Hands Homecare improves quality of life for seniors and offers peace of mind for individuals who love them. Contact us online or call (866) 940-4343 for an in-home consultation to learn exactly how we can help.