Questions to Consider When Moving Senior Parents Home
The number of COVID-19 cases in nursing homes and assisted living facilities has been overwhelming, as the virus sweeps through our most vulnerable population who live together in such close proximity like wildfire. Not surprisingly, many families, as a result, are moving their senior parents home, which brings about a number of issues to work through.
Hired Hands Homecare, providers of senior care in Rohnert Park and the surrounding area, is here with the information you need to make sure the transition home for your older loved ones is a smooth one. An ideal place to start when considering moving senior parents home is by getting the answers to these questions:
- Is there sufficient space for the senior to have his or her own room for privacy?
- How will the transition affect the rest of the family? For example, will one of the children be required to give up his/her bedroom and begin to share a room with a sibling?
- If you are working outside of the home, who will take care of the senior while you’re away?
- How will you manage vacations? Is your older loved one able to travel with you, or is there a plan you can put into place for respite care?
- Are there any unresolved issues with your aging parents that could have an effect on your ability to provide the best level of care?
- Might there be a problem with issues such as pets, smoking, or drinking, either on the part of the seniors or someone else who resides in your home?
- Are any home modifications needed, like adding in grab bars and railings, extra lighting, wheelchair accessibility?
Once you’ve gotten the answers you need, arrange for a family meeting with everyone living in the home, but also determine if any of your siblings or other family members may want to be involved in the seniors’ care, and invite them as well. It’s vital to allow everyone the chance to express any concerns openly and honestly. After all, bringing your aging parents into your home to live is a life-altering event for everyone.
Once the family is in agreement with the decision, talk with your older loved ones about the idea. Try to ascertain whether they have been thriving in the social environment of life in the facility, and whether or not they are open to the idea of a move. Assure your parents that the whole family is thrilled with the idea of inviting them home to live, and talk through any concerns they express.
Most of all, know that you are never alone in your new caregiving responsibilities! Hired Hands Homecare is always available to provide trusted care services, as much or as little as needed with tasks such as personal care, household chores, meals, running errands, transportation, companionship to enhance socialization, and more.
Contact us at (866) 940-4343 to arrange for a free in-home assessment to discover more about how our top-rated senior care in Rohnert Park and the surrounding communities can make a difference for the seniors you love.
Leave a Reply