Questions You Need to Ask Your Aging Parents
We’re all familiar with Benjamin Franklin’s sage advice: “Don’t put off until tomorrow what you can do today.” This has special significance when it comes to our aging parents, and to finding the answers to a number of important (as well as engaging) questions: from the practical knowledge of what their wishes are for their remaining lifetime, to what their favorite hobbies were as a child – and anything in between.
It’s a good idea to let your parents know that you have some questions you’d like to ask, and then schedule a time that will be uninterrupted, inviting siblings or other family members to attend as appropriate. Then prepare your questions in advance, thinking through ideas such as:
- Do you have a power of attorney? A do-not-resuscitate order? A will and living will in place? Are these documents gathered together in one secure but easily-accessible location?
- What are your wishes for care, if the time should come that it’s necessary? A nursing home? Assisted living facility? Or professional in-home care?
- Are there any medical diagnoses in our family that we should be aware of? A history of cancer, high blood pressure, heart disease, depression, etc.?
In addition to reviewing these planning types of questions, shift the conversation to family history and other areas of interest, such as:
- What do you remember most about your childhood?
- What are some of your favorite memories?
- What would your advice be to the next generation?
- What’s my birth story?
- What were Grandma and Grandpa like when they were young?
- What are some lessons you’ve learned in life that you want me to know?
Recording the answers to these questions, either through a written document or video, is a great way to ensure your children, and their children, will have a better understanding of their roots.
Learn more helpful suggestions for caring for aging parents from the care professionals at Hired Hands Homecare, providers of elderly care in Napa and the surrounding area. We would love the opportunity to schedule a free in-home consultation to find out how our top-rated home care in Napa can benefit you and your loved ones. Call us any time at (866) 940-4343 to find out more about our home care services in your area.