What’s the Best Flu Vaccine for Older Adults?
While COVID-19 continues to dominate our overall health concerns, it’s important to keep in mind that other illnesses can be equally as dangerous, especially for older adults. Flu season is upon us, and it’s time to make sure that the seniors you love are protected. This starts with knowing the best flu vaccine for older adults.
There are a number of different flu vaccines available, some of which are better suited for seniors. These include:
- High-dose vaccines
- Adjuvanted vaccines
- Intradermal vaccines
- Nasal spray vaccines
Typically, adults over the age of 65 are encouraged to receive either an adjuvanted or high-dose shot, but seek advice from the doctor for their recommendation.
Why Are Flu Vaccines So Important for Seniors?
If a senior is reluctant to receive a flu shot, listed below are some key reasons to educate them on why it is so important:
- The immune system weakens as we get older, making it more challenging to recover from infections.
- Serious complications from the flu tend to be more likely in seniors.
- 85% of flu-related deaths and up to 70% of flu-related hospitalizations occur in those over the age of 65.
- Secondary infections, such as sinus and ear infections, bronchitis, and even pneumonia can develop from contracting influenza.
In conjunction with receiving a flu shot, seniors can boost their immunity through:
- Maintaining a healthy and balanced diet that includes foods rich in vitamin C, D, and zinc, along with complex carbs and lean proteins.
- Staying physically active with regular exercise each day. 30 minutes per day is ideal, and can be broken down into smaller segments throughout the day.
- Keeping the environment clean and sanitized. A HEPA filter will also help with improving indoor air quality.
- Improving sleeping habits, aiming for 8 hours of sleep nightly. Implementing a routine at bedtime to include calming activities, limiting technology and TV, and keeping the bedroom cool and dark are all strategies to help.
Remember that following COVID-19 safety recommendations can help with preventing other illnesses as well. Wash hands frequently, practice physical distancing, wear a face covering, and avoid large crowds.
Hired Hands Homecare’s caregivers are here to help! Let us provide accompaniment and transportation to medical appointments and to receive a flu shot, in conjunction with our full range of in-home care services in Napa, Novato, Rutherford, and the surrounding areas.
We can also prepare nourishing meals, encourage older adults to engage in regular exercise, and more. Take the first step towards improving health and wellbeing for an older adult by calling us at (866) 940-4343 to request a complimentary in-home consultation.